Friday, September 10, 2010

Building My Art Portfolio

After reading the list of portfolio requirements for Milwaukee college, I thought that most of it would be fairly easy to put together. Then after thinking on it more I realized that most of what they wanted was drawings from real life, which is not my strongest area of drawing. I thought some of it would be more applying your creatitivy and imagination to your art, but it's mostly still lifes, figure drawings, etc. My portfolio will be needing A LOT of work now.
Originally I planned for my portfolio to include the work that best shows my creativity and skill overall and planned to put in works from all sorts of media. Of course now, I know i'll be needing to do a lot more rethinking about my portfolio. This year I plan to step outside of my box of the medias and topics I usually use and try new things to really help broaden my portfolio I'm planning to show my portfolio to as many colleges as I can, but my number one priority college is Webster University in St. Louis. Webster's requirements are pretty much the same basic requirements as Milwaukee, but they also want a drawing of a "hand tool". Hopefully I can use new experiences in AP Portfolio to help put together a piece that is from real life, but also has my own twist on it!

2 comments:

  1. Mellie!! You can put your own imagination and creativity into a piece when drawing from real life too. I do agree with you though, all this drawing from real life is going to be quite a challenge, but we'll have our wonderful teachers to help us along the way! Hopefully, we'll both have a wonderful portfolio to submit to Webster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bre has a really good point. You absolutely can make an observational piece your own. It is okay to include pieces that show your more creative side, as long as you also include work that shows you can do the technical stuff too. Nice job on the blog Molly.

    ReplyDelete